datestamp Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mt. Vernon...by the way, we're here!

Today we took some time out of our super stressful, super unsuccessful house hunt to enjoy some of the sites of Washington DC and surrounding area. We visited Mt. Vernon and took a boat ride on the Potomic River. Drew mom came out to watch the kids while we spent this weekend searching for a house and today was her last day with us. We wanted her to be able to see something besides a hotel room while she was here! Anyway, it was a beautiful day and I'm positive we'll be back to visit George Washington's home in the near future. So much history in such a small radius! I'm so excited!

As for a place to live...we searched and searched the area this weekend and nothing really grabbed us that was within our price range and a reasonable commute for Drew. So. Fortunatly, while we were in Colorado Drew put our name on the waiting list for base housing on Bolling AFB, and before we left for DC, we got a call that a place was available for us. So, using living on base as a last resort, we came here in search of a home. There are a few reasons why we really didn't want to live on base, a coupel of those being (1) we just came from a place where our lives revolved around a base, (2) the area outside of Bolling AFB is not the safest of places...we would have to send Kami to a private school for Kindergarted when she starts.

So, after a frustrating day of not finding anything, Drew and I went for a walk and talked about what we were going to do. Then something my father-in-law said to us occured to me. In giving us advice on house buying, we was telling us that if we felt pressured to make a purchase and wanted to think about it, to use my faith as an excuse to wait. If it's meant to be, the Lord will make it be. So, I thought about what Jerome said that night and realized - maybe THIS was our answer. Maybe getting base housing so quickly and not finding any other place that meets our needs and standards is Heavenly Fathers way of saying, 'This is where you need to be'.

As soon as we put aside our fears and began to have faith, Drew and I have been at such peace with our decision. I don't know what future the next three years will hold for us here. But, I feel strongly that this is where we are supposed to be.

So. We're here. We've got internet (another bump in our plans that worked to our advantage...TLF messed up our reservation, so we had to move out of TLF yesterday to the Homewood Suites. Constant high-speed internet!) and you'll be hearing more from us here in Washington DC on a more regular basis! I've updated quite a bit of pictures from the summer, so please feel free to scroll down and check out our crazy adventures!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm glad that you guys made it safe & sound. Can't wait to see your adventures around DC.

Adam and Sariah said...

It looks like you guys have been having a lot of fun on your trips! Well of course other than the staples. I hope you like your base housing. You will have to let me know how it is living on base. We have never done it before, but from reading your post it sure seems like you made the right decision. We miss you here in Korea. Take care!

gwennythepooh said...

Between you and another family who have moved to Washington DC, I clearly need to make a road trip!

KCB said...

I love all the posts and pics! I'm glad you all made it safe and sound and that you all settle in nicely. :) We hope to see you all there some day soon. I have family in the area and I'll be sure to give you a ring when we're in town. And, of course, you're always welcome to visit us here at Scott. Hugs to Kami and AJ!