Yesterday on my way home from church I realized that this will be my last Sunday lesson I teach until October! The next Sunday I would have taught is the day when Elder Bednar will be in Seoul for a Youth Fireside and so our branch is holding a two hour block that Sunday to give families travel time (traffic can get crazy here!). The week after that, I'm headed up to Seoul as well until our new little addition to our family decides to make his world debut! Wow! I can't believe how quickly time is flying by! So, happy teaching to all of you YW teachers out there! I'll see you in October! :^) Jess
Story
“Some years ago the president of the Sweden Mission related an experience when he was on a boat going out through a number of small islands toward Finland. As he watched the boat plow out into the sea, he noticed the meandering course of the pilot among the various islands. He wondered, Why doesn’t he take us to that more interesting island over there instead of this dismal place over here?
“He said, ‘As I sat there watching and wondering, I noticed what appeared to be broomsticks bobbing up and down in the water ahead. I then realized that someone had mapped out the safest course in these waters and had put out these guidelines to guide us safely.’
“Then he brought out this lesson: ‘Just so, God’s engineers have charted the safest way to us, and that safe way is written in the gospel of Jesus Christ, just as unmistakably as our ship was guided through those dangerous seas out into the safety beyond” (“Find the Answers in the Scriptures,” President Harold B. Les, Ensign, Dec. 1972, p. 3).
Question/Discussion
1. In what ways can the scriptures guide our lives?
2. Do you have a favorite scripture that has helped you meet challanges in your life, or just a favorite scripture in general that you'd like to share?
Case Studies
One way we can look for specific answers to questions in the scriptures is by using the Topical Gude and Index. Presented are some young women who need to find specific answers to their questions. Let's take a few minutes (I gave them about 7-10 minutes) and help these YW find the answers they're looking for.
Shauna was struggling with her faith in the power of prayer. She felt that she was not receiving answers when she prayed, and she was beginning to doubt the faith and beliefs of her childhood. Her Young Women adviser asked her to compile a notebook on prayer using only what she found in the scriptures. Find some scriptures that you think would help her regain her faith in prayer.
Marie was aware that Layne, her fourteen-year-old brother, was lying more and more frequently to her parents about where he was going and what he was doing. Marie had tried to talk to him about it, but that only made him angry. He insisted that his little lies weren’t doing any harm. He just wanted to spend more time with his friends. Marie’s father assigned her to give the lesson in family home evening the following Monday. She decided to give it on the importance of being honest. Find some scriptures that might help Marie teach Layne about the value of honesty.
Sarah’s mother had just died of cancer. Sarah was brokenhearted. Why had the Lord let this happen to her beautiful mother? She was so good and so young. The family had prayed fervently that she would be healed, and the bishop had helped her father administer to her mother. Using the key words of death and resurrection, what scriptures can you find to comfort Sarah?
Quote
“I fear that many of us rush about from day to day taking for granted the holy scriptures. We scramble to honor appointments with physicians, lawyers, and businessmen. Yet we think nothing of postponing interviews with Deity—postponing scripture study. Little wonder we develop anemic souls and lose our direction in living. How much better it would be if we planned and held sacred fifteen or twenty minutes a day for reading the scriptures. Such interviews with Deity would help us recognize his voice and enable us to receive guidance in all of our affairs. We must look to God through the scriptures” (Carlos E. Asay, in Conference Report, Oct. 1978, p. 79; or Ensign, Nov. 1978, pp. 53–54).
Question
1. How can we make Scripture Study more meaningful in our lives?
Quote Sheet
1. Schedule
2. Pray
3. Search
4. Ponder
5. Relate
6. Apply
Because We Have Them Before Our Eyes, by Elder David A. Bednar, New Era, April 2006
Search the Scriptures , by Elder L. Lionel Kendrick, Ensign, May 1993
Poem
7 comments:
The red pencils in the glass filled with skittles turned out great! Cute, Cute, Cute:)
Jessica! I used your sacrifice lesson outline and everything was GREAT! The girls loved it. Last week was less fun without your insights. Thanks so much for sharing them- you have no idea how much I appreciate it. I'm gone for October, so I hope you'll still be around in November! What will I do without you until then....? Good luck with the family addition!
Jessica, good luck with the baby! I wish you well. I found your page from off of the sugardoodles page. I am a couselor in the YW org of our ward over here in England. Because I was not brought up in the church I really struggle sometimes with lessons. Also we only have three girls, which is a challenge in and of itself. One girl is the only member in a family that thinks she is just going througha phase and will snap out of it soon. One girl has a mother who is totally inactive, a brother who's been dis-fellowshipped and a muslim stepfather. The third girl is a girl of mixed race that struggles to fit in at school and appears to be rebelling against her Mormon upbringing a bit in order to fit in with the other two girls. The odd thing is they all go to the same school, but are not friends with each other. It's a real struggle some weeks as you can imagine. I will be teaching this lesson next week. Thanks so much for your wonderful helps! Can't wait til you are back teaching again!
I found your blog from the sugardoodles page and I just love your "lesson helps"!!! Last week I was called as the 2nd counselor in YWs and this week I am giving my first lesson and it is lesson number 30. I was so happy that you posted your lesson handouts. I know the lesson is going to be a success!! Thanks!
I love your lessons and ideas! You are so talented! I just bought PSE 6 this year and am loving to learn digi. I will always paper scrap, but digi is fun to do for special projects! Good luck with your soon to be newborn! I will miss your lesson helps immensely!
I found your blog on Sugardoodle and used your outline for lesson 28 it was wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. Best of luck with the new baby. I will be looking forward to your return in October.
love love the skittle pencil cup! You are amazing!!! Aren't the YW great?? !
Post a Comment