datestamp Saturday, October 25, 2008

*sigh!*

So, tonight is our Branch's annual Chili Cookoff/Fall Party.....and for the second year in a row, I didn't make it. Oh, we came so close this year! I was going along in my day, doing my very best to ignore the ever growing mess my daughter was making of our house, the whines, the itchy throat that I'm sure will turn into a full-blown cold in the next day or so, AJ's constant crying from what I assume to be the same itchy throat that I've got going on, and Kami's refusal to take a nap. I was determined to make it tonight. I had been baking all morning (I LOVE the smell of a house that has something baking). Cupcakes for tonight perfect and fluffy with what was supposed to be orange frosting, but actually came out peach (but I was ignoring that fact, too) and I was quite pleased with myself that I heeded friend Sariah's warning that the cornbread that she had dropped off with me has a tendency to burn....but they came out the perfect golden brown.

So, what was the straw that broke the camels back?

Like I said, I was ignoring the whines, but the mess was getting to me. So, I started picking up around the house (while AJ was actually sleeping). And I was trying my best to ignore Kami's plea of "Mommy....I need help!". Thinking she was most likely wanting to get into one of her toys that I would then later have to pick up, I replied half-hearted, "Kami, I can't think of anything that you would need help with, that I'd want to help you with."

On second thought, maybe I should have listened to her. *SIGH!!*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

O MY! Well, at least you know that the cupcakes were TASTY! LOL!

I hope you all feel better soon!

Carol and Don said...

Oh, Dear! I think you should have gone anyway...I hope your patience held with Kami...don't know what she needed help with, looks like she did a good job all by herself (maybe she just wanted to share with you). Hope you are feeling better. Love Mom

KCB said...

WOW! That is too funny. :) Those cupcakes look mighty tasty...I don't think I can blame Kami for wanting to give them a try. LOL

PS> LOVE the new layout! So creative!

Rachel said...

Wait, and you still didn't go? ;) Really, that sounds like a common scenario from our early days with Calvin. It will get better, I promise! In the meantime, don't let the constant demands sap you of what *you* need - even when it means leaving your house a wreck and going out for social time anyway (people will understand the state of the cupcakes, or deal without!)

Annie said...

I am so sorry Jess. I so understand how you feel. I sometimes think that is the story of my life. Mommy help. Is what I here a lot too. Someday we will look back and wish we were there again. Until then Keep smiling!!!

Strommer Family said...

OH Girl!! I am sorry about the exchange and the thoughts that went on in your mind after that sight!! :0) But Heavenly Father still loves you despite them!! I sure hope you two feel better very soon...no being sick for too long, I'd have to miss you all over again!!

Carol and Don said...

Love your new blog-look...so much easier to read (your poor old mom's eyes say Thank you).