Saturday we took Drew's parents (minus Kami...too dangerous) on a tour of the DMZ. That was one of the most amazing and frightening tours I think I've ever been on. You know how when you go to a place where you know good things happened? Or even when you visit say, Gettysburg, you know at least something good came from the fighting there? Yeah, there was absolutely none that that feeling here. After 50+ years of standing at a truce, the tension between the Korea's is so thick and so serious. There's nothing like the feeling of being watched by the bad guys.
This is the best picture we could take with our telephoto lens of one of the villages known as "Propaganda Village". The only people that actually live in these houses are a few of the North Korean military members and their families. And on a side note: for those that I've talked to on the phone that say it sounds like I have a cold and I keep saying it's "Yellow Dust" or polution coming over from China...this is what I mean . All that foggy-ness, that's polution! Yuck!
These three pictures are of some pretty tough South Korean guards that you do not want to mess with! According to the US Military Police who was giving us the tour, they are all in a ready to kick your butt stance of taekwondo. The third guard by the blue door is actually guarding the door that leads into North Korea. Craziness.

And finally, this is a picture of a North Korean guard; if you also look closely in the window on the other side of the pillar, you can make out another guard who is watching us with binoculars.
An interesting side note...Drew just showed me an article on CNN that says that a North Korean officer defected to the South the day after we were there. Very interesting!
1 comments:
My grandfather died on the day I went to see the DMZ so I was already in a pensive and sober mood...but boy did the tour bring everything home to me --perspective. Did they tell the story about the tree that needed trimming...two soldiers lost their lives to the N Koreans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_Murder_Incident Then, at the time, I was taking taekwondo and the tour guide was explaining the ROC ready stance to the group(Taiwan, Korean and other armies require black belts I believe). Can you imagine being so alert? It is just that --a position to use all forms of force if necessary. And they just stay that way! Like the British Guards. It was so interesting. Looking at your pics and the ones I took in '97(?) they look indentical...but I was bummed because the guards wouldn't smile. Silly girl. Anyway...Just brought back memories. Same with Kami's blonde hair and the pics they want to take...it's rare and it brings good luck so many Koreans may want to touch her soft beautiful locks ;-)
Aw...I miss you. Good to hear from you.
Post a Comment